Saturday, November 22, 2008

November 2, 2008

"Those who live in the Lord never see one another for the last time." -- Old German proverb

This weekend we remember especially all who have gone before us, and we celebrate their lives. We remember what they taught us, not just by their words, but by how they lived their lives. We don't know what heaven is like, but we do know it is a place of peace---no more struggling, no more pain and suffering. Fr. Jerry and Nate O sang a hymn at the Hymn Sing last Sunday that says, "Eye has not seen, ear has not heard what God has ready for those who love Him..." What we do know is that we can trust the words of Jesus when he says in today's gospel, "... that all who see the Son and believe in Him may have eternal life; and I will raise them up on the last day."

We have switched to John's gospel this weekend because by the time John was written down (100 A.D.), people had a deeper understanding of who Jesus was. In Mark (65-70 A.D.) we see a more human Jesus who doesn't necessarily know how things will work out, but he knows the Father's will for us, trusts the Father, and is faithful to what he has to do. We can follow Jesus' example by living the way he taught, be people of hope, and leave the rest to him.

On a lighter note---In one of my courses we had a test on death, resurrection and new life. We were asked what we thought our resurrected bodies would look like. I answered as best I could and then added, "I'm hoping for a thin one." When I got my test back, the professor had written, "So am I."

No comments: